Certification is the process whereby an accredited conformity assessment body verifies that what is placed on the market or delivered to site is the same as what was tested. We are accredited by UKAS to the relevant standard (ISO 17065) in exactly the same way and with the same authority as other large international bodies that you will have heard of. The key components are as follows:
- The factory must have a quality management system (QMS) such as ISO 9001
- The QMS is audited in relation to the specific product to be certified
- Following the witnessing of production, samples are identified for testing, and subsequently tested
- Following successful testing (or earlier) an initial factory production control (FPC) audit is conducted
- The factory satisfactorily completes ‘improvement actions’ in relation to the FPC
- A certificate is issued which includes all identifiable components and materials of the product
- The product (from that factory only) is listed on the Certification Body website – ours is tbwcert.com
- The factory starts to place the ‘Certification Mark’ on the product and begins supplying it
- Regular FPC surveillance audits are repeated two to three times a year
- Subject to detailed review, the certification is renewed every three years
Certification is mandatory for obtaining ‘product approval’ from the Civil Defence in any of the Emirates or Gulf countries prior to the product being sold, distributed or installed in a building. Both the Certification Body and the Testing Laboratory must be listed on the UAE Civil Defence List of Approved Testing and Certification Bodies. It is not mandatory however, for the Certification Body and the Testing Laboratory to be one and the same; subject to any defects or deficiencies, a certification body can issue certification based on other labs’ testing reports. We work with a number of certification bodies that provide certification based on our tests.
As a rule, the product should display the certification body’s certification mark, though this may only be on the packaging, protective film or on the reverse side. Users of certified products should confirm on the certification body’s website that the product is 1) suitable for the application – that the current installation is properly represented by the sample tested, and 2) that the listing is current and not expired, withdrawn or under suspension. All TBWIC certifications are listed with the full certificate available on www.tbwcert.com.